ACE TESOL Diploma Ontario
TESOL Diploma Program – Online
The TESOL Diploma Program offered through London Language Institute is an ESL teacher training course with 150 hours of online instruction and a 30-hour supervised practicum. The ACE TESOL Certificate Program or other TESL Canada Standard Level One course (or equivalent) is a prerequisite for admission.
The ACE TESOL Diploma provides a comprehensive look at the theory of language teaching as well as advanced teaching skills. Topics are divided into three broad categories: learning, teaching and language.
– Language Acquisition
– Learning Styles, Learning Strategies and Motivation
– Language Learning and Culture
– Language Learning and Society
– Adult ESL in CanadaTeaching
– Teaching Methodologies
– Advanced Skills for Teaching Speaking, Writing, Listening and Reading
– Advanced Skills for Teaching Pronunciation and Vocabulary
– Planning and Teaching with the Canadian Language Benchmarks
– Principles and Techniques for Adult Learners
– Curriculum Design
– Language AssessmentLanguage
– The Nature and History of Language
– Introduction to Linguistics
– Morphology and Semantics
– Pedagogical Grammar
Each of the 100 modules in the ACE TESOL Diploma course are comprised of Lecture Notes and a Task Journal. Students submit Task Journals to their instructor on an ongoing basis for feedback and assessment. Students are also assessed on an Observation Report and three Term Exams.
The ACE TESOL Diploma can be completed in an as little as 3 months, or up to 12 months. Three 3-month sessions are offered each year – September 15 to December 15, January 15 to April 15, and May 15 to August 15. Participants can complete all three terms in one 3 month session, or spread the terms over two or three sessions. Once registered, participants will be provided access to the term one materials, and once complete will have the option of completing the next term in the same session, or waiting until the next session to continue.
Practicums are conducted in real adult English language classes. The 30-hour practicum is divided into 20 hours of classroom observation and 10 hours of practice teaching. For the 10 hours of practice teaching, students are assigned to a mentor teacher.
Graduates who wish to apply for TESL Ontario Professional Certification must demonstrate English proficiency by one of the following:
a) A three or four year full-time in-class bachelor’s degree completed with English as the language of instruction in one of the following
countries: Canada, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin
Islands, Cayman Islands, Cameroon, Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Republic of
Ireland, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and
Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, United States, Uganda, US Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
b) Minimum acceptable scores/bands from a TESL Ontario recognized ELP test taken within three years of the TESL Ontario Certification
IELTS-Academic Test: Listening: 7, Reading: 7, Writing: 7, Speaking: 7
CAEL-At a Test Centre: Listening: 70, Reading: 70, Writing: 70, Speaking: 70
CAEL Online : Listening: 70, Reading: 70, Writing: 70, Speaking: 70
TOEFL iBT: Listening: 24, Reading: 24, Writing: 27, Speaking: 26
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition:Listening: 24, Reading: 24, Writing: 27, Speaking: 26
TESL Ontario accepts a combination of two test reports (for the same ELP test taken twice or for two different ELP tests) indicating
that all required scores/bands have been obtained. Also, TESL Ontario accepts ELP test reports up to three years after the test date.
Test reports older than three years are considered on a case-by-case basis.
c) Evidence of grades 6-12 completed with English as the language of instruction in one of the countries listed in (a)
d) A three or four year online/distance bachelor’s degree completed with English as the language of instruction in one of the countries
listed in (a) and an ELP test report indicating speaking and writing results as shown in (b)
Graduates who wish to apply for TESL Canada Level Two Certification must demonstrate English proficiency by one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT: 101 overall with a minimum score of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing of 20 in each area
- IELTS: 7.0 overall, with a minimum of 7.0 in each skill area
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from a university in one of the following countries: Canada, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cameroon, Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Saint Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St.Vincent, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, United States, Uganda, US Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
The total cost of the ACE TESOL Diploma program is $2500 ($700 per term plus $400 practicum fee), plus a $150 administration fee payable upon registration. The administration fee will be waived for past graduates of the TESOL Certificate Program at London Language Institute. Once registered, LLI will provide a list of potential practicum locations based on your geographical location, and assist you in confirming your placement.
Upcoming Start Dates*:
*Note: Due to the asychronous delivery of this program, it is possible to begin on alternative start dates.