Full Time English as a Second Language (ESL) and Pathway Programs
Learn English as a Second Language (ESL) with the Learning Languages Institute, one of Canada’s leading language schools.
- You can study in person in Canada at our schools in London and Mississauga in Ontario.
- You can learn online from the comfort of your own home with LLI’s easy to use interactive Virtual Learning Platform.
LLI offers 7 levels of ESL and academic preparation programs, so you can join a class that is the right level for you.
Why choose the full time ESL program from LLI?
- 23 hours of in-class teaching per week with Certified English teachers.
- Maximum of 15 students per class.
- Receive one-on-one attention from your teachers in an engaging and interactive learning environment.
- New courses starting every month.
- Learn online or in-person – the curriculum is exactly the same.
- LLI has hosted students from more than 75 different countries around the world. Cultural diversity is a key factor in our students’ success, so we make sure that every class is made of up students with a mixture of cultural backgrounds and native languages.
Start studying ESL at the right level
LLI offer a world-class 7-level curriculum, so you can start as a beginner or join an advanced level class based on your English ability and LLI assessment test.
1. You can join our general English program. This program includes 23 hours of in-person or virtual classes per week which focus on speaking, grammar, and writing.
2. You can join our academic English program. This program includes 29 hours of in-person or virtual classes per week. These classes focus on speaking and writing at a higher level of English. They are primarily intended for students who want to go on to college/university or want to develop their advanced level English skills.
English Placement Test
When you enrol with LLI, you are required to take an LLI English Placement Test. The results from your Placement Test are then used to place you in a class with other students at the same level of English ability. For more details see our LLI Placement Test page
How we teach ESL
With LLI, you learn by being immersed in English rather than just memorizing words and phrases in a textbook. Therefore, you will be asked to participate in whole class and group activities to complete exercises that develop your speaking and writing skills.
We prefer to focus on developing your language skills through interactive, task-based learning, so that you can improve your communication skills and English comprehension. At LLI, we believe that a student’s confidence in their English abilities is more important than their test results.
Our ESL curriculum is delivered in 4-week blocks, and it takes 8 weeks to complete one level. Class hours are between 23-30 hours per week, so you have time for home study and practice too. As a full-time student, you can complete our entire program in as little as 12 months.
ESL online or in-person?
Our full-time ESL program curriculum is exactly the same whether you join us online or in-person.
- In-person students attend classes at our modern institutions in downtown London, and Mississauga Ontario.
- Online students join their classes virtually via their computer. Online students have the same opportunity to interact with their classmates and teachers, as if they were sitting in the room with them. You can see and hear exactly what in-person students see and can participate by asking and answering questions via your computer microphone. It works just like a Zoom call!
Our full-time ESL courses are all LIVE classes, so online students need to be able to join the class in the EST timezone.
All online students benefit from our cutting-edge LLI Virtual Learning Platform. See our “Learn English online” page for more details.
Beginner and advanced ESL options
LLI offers a Foundation Program (Pre-Beginner) if you need help before starting the Level 1 ESL class. Our General ESL English Program is from level 1-5.
We also offer an Advanced Academic Program (AP1 and AP2) for students who need to meet university entrance standards of English. This is available for students who have already completed our General ESL Program.
For more details about LLI’s Academic Preparation 1 and Preparation 2 classes please visit our University/College Pathway program page.
Learning Languages Institute’s ESL tuition fees are competitive and there are a variety of packages to suit your needs.
FULL TIME ESL COURSES Start Dates 2023
- January: Jan 3rd
- February: Jan 30th
- March: February 27th
- April: March 27th
SPRING BREAK (April 27th – 30th)
- May: May 1st
- June: May 29th
- July: June 26th
- August: July 24th
SUMMER BREAK (August 21st-27th)
- September: August 28th
- October: September 25th
- November: October 23rd
- December: November 20th
HOLIDAYS (December 16th-31st)
|Weeks||Intensive English 23 In-Person Lessons Per Week Fee||Intensive English 23 Online Lessons Per Week Fee|
One time Registration fee: $150
Materials fee: $70
Students are responsible for arranging their own medical insurance before traveling to Canada. Alternatively, LLI can arrange insurance via Guard.me if required.
Attending classes in person and want to know the full cost? Use our free online calculator to work out the total cost of attending your LLI classes in Canada, including course fees, homestay costs, and airport pickup.
Students in our University pathway have an additional 6 hours of instruction per week for the last 4 months of their program. Additional cost is $600.00 per month.
Attending in person and looking for accommodation?
See our Accommodation page for more details on our Homestay opportunities in London and Mississauga.
Attending classes in-person and want to know the full cost?
Use our free online calculator to find out the total cost for you to attend LLI classes in Canada, including course fees, homestay costs, and airport pickup.
First, take our short “Test Your English Quiz” to assess your current level of English. Once you complete the free quiz we will send you the results in 3 business days. Many students want to know how long they need to study in order to reach a specific English goal and this test will provide feedback on your current level of English.
When you enrol with LLI, you will take your English Placement Test online and for in-person students, a further 2-hour assessment in person here at LLI. The results from your online LLI English Placement Test are used to place you in a class with other students at the same level of English ability.