The ACE TESOL Certificate Program offered at Learning Languages Institute is an ESL teacher training course with 100 hours of classroom instruction and a 20-hour supervised practicum.
Using the ACE Method, trainees explore teaching, learning and language through task-based, participatory and interactive experiences. The content is based upon the most recent research in language acquisition and language education.
The following topics are covered in the course:
- Teaching and Learning Theory
- Current Methodology
- Lesson and Unit Planning
- Teaching Language Systems (grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, functions)
- Language Skills (speaking, listening, writing, reading)
- Testing and Evaluation
- Preparing Students for Standardized Tests (CAEL, TOEFL, TOEIC)
Candidates are assessed on the following:
- An observation report
- Grammar knowledge and usage
- A unit plan
- A lesson plan
- Individual teaching
Certification is achieved at a pass, high pass or distinction level.
The ACE TESOL Certificate offered at Learning Languages Institute meets the guidelines of TESL Canada.
FULL-TIME (4 weeks)
Classes held Monday to Friday from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. over 4 weeks,
PART TIME (11 weeks)
- Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00 to 9:15 p.m.
- Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Next start dates:
September 26, 2022 (11-week part time)
EXTRAS FOR ALL TESOL AND POST-TESOL COURSES
One time Registration fee: $150
Material fee: $90
Students are responsible for arranging their own medical insurance before travelling to Canada. Alternatively, LLI can arrange insurance via Guard.me if required.
Attending classes in person and need accommodation? Use our free online calculator to work out the total cost of attending your LLI classes in Canada.
At minimum, all applicants must possess a secondary school diploma. It is recommended that applicants also possess an undergraduate degree. Applicants without an undergraduate degree may be accepted but will not qualify for TESL Canada certification.
Non-native speakers of English who wish to apply for TESL Canada Level One Certification must demonstrate English proficiency by one of the following methods:
- TOEFL iBT: 101 overall with a minimum score of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing of 20 in each area
- IELTS: 7.0 overall, with a minimum of 7.0 in each skill area
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from a university in one of the following countries: Canada, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cameroon, Dominica, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, Saint Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St.Vincent, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Kingdom, United States, Uganda, US Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Potential students may complete an in-house assessment test at LLI, or complete the AP1 level at LLI; however will not qualify for TESL Canada certification unless one of the above-mentioned proficiency requirements is met.