The ACE Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes is designed to introduce language instructors to the knowledge, skills and techniques needed to effectively prepare students for success in an English-speaking higher education setting.
Why Choose the ACE Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes
- 26+ hours of coursework
- Learn ideas, strategies and tools with which to successfully teach the language systems, the language skills, and the behaviours specific to higher education.
- Increase your marketability as a language instructor
Teaching English for Academic Purposes Course Content
The ACE Certificate in Teaching Culture covers the following subject areas:
- Understanding English for Academic Purposes
- Teaching Academic Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing Skills
- Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
- Teaching Academic Research and Citation Skills
- Teaching Quoting Summarizing and Paraphrasing
- Teaching Academic Grammar
- Teaching Academic Vocabulary
- Teaching Academic Behaviours
- Assessment Tasks and Tools
- Finding and Evaluating Materials and Resources
Students will complete a Task Journal for each of the 13 course modules and submit them on an ongoing basis to their instructor for feedback and assessment. The instructor will assess the students’ understanding of each module based on the correctness and completeness of their responses in the Task Journals.
Tasks provide students with the opportunity to put course concepts into practice through research, analysis, evaluation and lesson planning. Tasks include answering discussion and short answer questions, and completing short curriculum design tasks.
The Task Journals comprise 100% of the final grade.
Courses are offered three times per year:
- September 15 to March 15
- January 15 to July 15
- May 15 to November 15
*Note: Each session is 6 months in duration. It is possible to begin mid-session, provided the course is completed prior to session end date.*
EXTRAS FOR ALL TESOL AND POST-TESOL COURSES
One time Registration fee: $150
Material fee: $90
Students are responsible for arranging their own medical insurance before traveling to Canada. Alternatively, LLI can arrange insurance via Guard.me if required.
Attending classes in person and need accommodation? Use our free online calculator to work out the total cost of attending your LLI classes in Canada.
The prerequisite for The ACE Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes is an interest in further expanding knowledge in the area of teaching English for Academic Purposes. Must be a qualified and currently practicing English language teacher to enrol.